Monday, February 23, 2009

The future of Rick

So sorry for the entire month of no posts, but I've been doing a lot of thinking, a bit of art, and a lot of business stuff.

So first off, I might switch my major to Fine Art. No, I take that back. I might drop out of art school. I've been re-evaluating my life and have decided what I really want is total freedom when it comes to work/art/etc. Illustration is too much working for other people...hell, I want to draw what I want to draw, not what other people tell me to draw.

Now, I've realized that I'm very wishy-washy in that I get into something really hardcore for a few days-few weeks, and then I want to do something different. That's why I tend to lose interest in my classes around weeks 5-8. I hit this midpoint where I just don't want to practice the same shit again and again.

Also, here's some stuff I've done here and there for the past few months. Not sure what I've already uploaded, but eh.

This could be due to my defense mechanism that likes to quit when things get hard, but I've found that in general, my interest in other things (even things that I'm really good at) wanes and waxes like this too.

So, I've been thinking about my dream job, so that I can realize it (after all, you can't get something without knowing what it is). My dream job would be as a gallery artist that paints or prints or draws when he wants. I don't like the idea of having to do anything. I want to be able to change up my style, publish some zines/books, do wedding invitations, do some more theater, etc., etc. Thus, I've realized that the only way for me to really reach my full potential of doing sporadic tasks is to not have any obligations. This also involves being financially secure, so I'm not 100% sure on how this is going to work over, but I'm pretty sure that it'll come to me somehow. Right now, I'm hoping via the lotto, but eh, I'm not too worried.

So right now I'm honestly thinking that I may only stay in Academy one more semester after this one. I might go to some school where they don't take attendance and I only have to crank out a few papers per semester to keep my enrollment up (loan deferment, baby), but I think I'm ready to move on. Besides, having a degree isn't going to do shit for getting me a job. It's all about the portfolio.

Anyhoo, I want to get a portfolio site (at rickkitagawa.com) up and running, but that requires more of my personal stuff, and just more work in general. I also want to figure out how to format the wordpress blog for Little Yeti, as well as get that site up and running.

I also have an idea for two more zines, as well as the Bad Date zine issue 2 I need to publish soon. Fuck, so much to do, so little time.

Also, our landlord is apparently going to come in 2 days to inspect our apartment, and since our place is a shithole guess who's staying home from class tomorrow to clean it up?

Anyhoo, here is some random shit I've done in the past few months.




No comments: